What We Lose in the Fire We Gain in the Flood
Per usual, you can download it on iTunes for free. Or you can stream it.
A helpful tracklist:
1. The Mynabirds, Let the Record Go (from What We Lose In The Fire We Gain In the Flood, out April 27 on Saddle Creek) -- This is my favorite record right now, and you're about to hear why. The Mynabirds is the new project from Georgie James' Laura Burhenn, and her smoky, soulful voice is absolutely ravishing. (You may be reminded of Cat Power at first.) It kills me that I missed her at SXSW, but I won't miss her again! You're going to love each song on the album, so please pick it up next week. Trust me.
2. Lay Low, By and By (from Farewell Good Night's Sleep, out now on Cargo Records) -- This Icelandic singer is inspired by American Southern crooners like Patsy Cline and Dolly Parton. Now you know why I like her.
3. One For the Team, Hard For You (from Ghosts, out now on Afternoon Records) -- Here's a track that'll make you pump your fist and help you get through the rest of the day. Ghosts is the group's third record.
4. Sam Amidon, You Better Mind (from I See the Sign, out this week on Bedroom Community) -- I mentioned Sam's cover of Big Star's Thirteen a couple weeks ago. He sings that song with Beth Orton, and he sings this song with Orton as well. It's lovely.
5. Slow Club, When I Go (from Yeah, So, out now on Moshi Moshi) -- I've mentioned this UK duo several times, so now you get to hear them. This charming little track opens the album.
6. John Grant, Sigourney Weaver (from Queen of Denmark, out now on Bella Union) -- Grant (formerly of The Czars) recorded this album with Midlake, so that's one big reason to hear it. And yes, this song does mention the famous actress. And Winona Ryder, too.
7. Mumford & Sons, Sigh No More (from Sigh No More, out now on Glassnote) -- Many of you have e-mailed me about this UK band, which is currently busy playing sold out shows across the country.
LP / CD / MP3
LP / Deluxe LP / CD / MP3
LP / MP3
7" / MP3