1.What is the history of Cursive?
Cursive began in '95, from the ashes of local bands, as an attempt to play GOOD music. This has been a priority ever since, thought there are people out there who probably question how much of a “priority" it really is. We started with myself, Matt Maginn playing bass, Clint Schnase on drums, and Steve Pedersen playing guitar. Umm...our first songs were somewhere in the genre of speed punk...I guess. They were really fast-really obnoxious too. Then we stopped playing those songs and continued doing the styles we had already been playing in previous bands. And somehow that became what we are today. Oh...we broke up in the middle of that somewhere, took a year and a half of nothing to do, and then fired it up again minus Steve and plus Ted Stevens. Next came Domestica and this interview.
2. If Cursive took me out on a date, where would you take me?
We would get you too sauced on Natural Ice or whatever was on special that day and then take you to this quarry in Louisville, KY to jump 25 ft. into some really deep water. Then we would take turns showing off and trying to stand close to you...we would appear genuinely interested in everything you had to say.
3. What is your favorie thing to do during a mic check?
Uhh...I'm not really into mic check jokes. I think I like to look out toward the sound guy with a quizzical expression. That way it looks like I'm helping out, as if to say, 'does that sound right? Yeah-good levels, bro.'
4. What are the 3 best songs ever written about a girl?
“Something Wild"-Bettie Servert, “I Hope I Don't Fall in Love With You"-Tom Waits and “Lucky"-Britney Spears.
5. What makes a good band?
A good song written about a girl.
6. Will disco ever come back?
I thought it already did- and already died again. It seems like the eighties already took it's place.
7. PETE ROSE will probably never make it into the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME but, do you think AXL ROSE will make it into the ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME?
8. Why should I come to see Cursive perform live?
Well, I don't want to try to convince you... I guess if anyone was super hesitant about whether they want to go or not I could offer to buy them a drink in compensation. Maybe we should start a money back guarantee.
9. What is the loudest band you know?
10. Finally, if you died and went to heaven what kind of music would be playing? What kind of music would they play in hell?
Heaven would be playing AIMEE MANN this week, the new RADIOHEAD next week, INTEGRITY last week, PORTISHEAD about a year back....I could go on...I think Hell would play all the same bands but on the wrong weeks.
LP / CD / MP3
LP / CD / MP3
LP / CD / MP3